How to delete your Twitter account?
What started as a short messaging site, back in 2006, today has an audience of around 200 million active users worldwide. Well, the chirpy Twitter, today serves as the platform for many, including international personalities, to express their opinions. Twitter not only provides you a medium to connect with people across the world but it can also be used as a tool to market and advertise your business. In fact, Twitter is one of the most loved microblogging sites, which makes interaction very interesting for users. Whether you want to know what your favorite celebrities are up to, or the latest sports and political news, Twitter is the thing for you.
For many people, Twitter is a site where they regularly tweet or check the Twitter status and keep themselves updated with the newsfeed. But, for many, it might be a nuisance, a fag or simply waste of time. Despite having an active set of users Twitter is still lagging behind Facebook. And for people who have never used Twitter chances are they never will. There could be several reasons to leave Twitter. For instance, it could be your exams or simply your conscious mind telling you to do something more productive. Whatever it may be, deleting your Twitter account is not as complicated as it might seem.
To make it easier for you, this article entails a step by step guide to delete a Twitter account. As an extra perk, you’ll also come to know a few other things that you’ll need in the process.
But first…Things to note before deleting Twitter account
Before you delete your Twitter account, here are a few things that you need to understand and know.
# Does Twitter have your private information?
Well, it might come as a surprise but Twitter is not that great in giving your privacy some solitude. Some of the information that Twitter might know about you includes:
- Your account information: like username, mail ID, password, phone number.
- Contact details: Such information is readily stored by Twitter. For example, if you sync your Twitter with your phone then the contact list is automatically available on its servers.
- Location: If you tweet from your phone application, then Twitter gets access to your location details.
- Payment info: If you have shared any sort of payment information with Twitter then it gets access to it. However, it can be removed at any point in time.
If you think that’ it’s not really a problem, you need to be cautious. Though Twitter is pretty safe to use, it readily uses your private information which makes it vulnerable to hacking and cyber-attacks.
# How to make your username/email address reusable, before deletion?
Do you know that if you delete your Twitter account, you won’t be able to use the same IDs for creating a new one? But, there’s one way to make this possible. To make your username or email address reusable, here are a few steps that you must follow before deleting your Twitter account. Here you go!
- Go to the settings page on the drop-down menu under the profile icon.
- In the username option, choose a new username.
- In the email address section, change the email address to a new address that you have.
- Confirm the email address that will be sent to you by link.
- Now, you will be able to reuse the email address and the username as a new account if you choose to sign up within the 30 days deactivation period.
# How to save your tweets before deleting?
- You might think that by deleting your Twitter account you will lose your precious tweets, statuses, photos and everything you’ve been posting for years, forever. But, the best part is that you can download your Twitter archive before you decide to delete your Twitter account.
- Visit and login to the Twitter website.
- On the left side, click on the More option and then click on the Setting and Privacy options.
- Scroll down and then request your archive.
- You will receive a notification from Twitter. This email will inform you that your archive is ready for download. You can download your videos too.
Deactivating and deleting your Twitter account are two different things. Deactivating is more of a short time temporary thing. While deleting Twitter account is permanent. Deactivating your account for 30 days sends a notification to Twitter and they begin a countdown of 30 days to delete your Twitter account permanently.
How to temporarily Deactivate your Twitter Account?
- Log in your Twitter account. Note that Twitter deactivation can only be done on a computer browser or load the browser on the web on your phone.
- On the left corner of the home page, go to Settings and Privacy option. Select the Setting option.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the setting sub-menu. Click on Deactivate your account option.
- Go through the deactivation guidelines and warnings mentioned. Once you decide to deactivate your account it can be recovered between 30 days. After that, Twitter will initiate deletion on its end. Within these 30 days, you can log in and reactivate your account at any time.
How to permanently delete your Twitter account?
To permanently delete your Twitter account you will have to sign on the web instead of an application.
- Sign in to your Twitter account.
- Go to Settings and Privacy options.
- Scroll down to the bottom right and click on the Deactivate button. Twitter will ask you reasons for deactivation, give a valid reason.
- Enter your password to confirm the deactivation process.
- The process of deletion will start after 30 days of deactivating. However, make sure you do not log in to your Twitter account within the 30 days otherwise you’ll have to start the process again.
Things to know after you delete your Twitter account
- Twitter does not start to delete your account as soon you request. It takes 30 days and then initiates the deletion process.
- Twitter gives you 30 days to rethink and come back if you ever wish to. You can simply log in to the account details and reactivate your account.
- If you want to delete your Twitter account to remove the tweets from the search engine, it might not happen. The search engine does not check back to see if the account is deleted.
How to recover a deleted account?
Twitter allows you to think and rethink about your decision of deleting your Twitter account for 30 days. Within a month you can log in to your account details and reactivate your Twitter account at any time.
However, if it has been more than 30 days your account will be permanently deleted from Twitter. Time to sign up and make a new Twitter account.
The reason behind deleting your Twitter account could be anything. However, you do not have to stress yourself over it. It is very easy if you follow the step by step guidelines mentioned above. But, if privacy is your concern then you need to understand that Twitter does not control third-party websites. So, your tweets, Twitter status, and information may still be available on other websites for some days.